Situated near the famous
Marble Rocks in Jabalpur MP,
Chausath Yoginitemple complex is an open
sky circular courtyard atop a hill. It is dedicated to Goddess
Durga. Right in circular fashion is a row of idols
of attendants of Goddess Durga called Yoginis.
Lord Shiva temple is in the center. The
lawa stone idols were plundered and disfigured by Moghul
Chausath Yogini temple complex are ruins
of ancient dynasties that ruled Jabalpur. The temple in
the center dedicated to Lord Shiva and
his consort Goddess Parvati was built by
the Kalchuri dynasty in the 10th century
AD. The idols of Yoginis are exquisitely carved and exhibit
marvelous iconography in spite of being disfigured by the
Moghul invaders. There are in total sixty four statues,
but most of them have been plundered.
About hundred and fifty steps
lead to the complex which dates back to 1000 AD. The courtyard
offers panoramic view of the Gorge at River Narmada and the surrounding landscape. The Gond Rulers
of Central India were regular visitors
to the complex during their rule. An inscription commemorating
the visit of Gond Queen Durgavati can be seen in the sanctorum.
A short distance from Marble Rocks, one can easily visit
and observe the marvelous complex while on tour. Most of
the visitors to Marble Rocks and Dhuandhar Falls visit the
Chausath Yogini Temple.